Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nags Head

Allow me to re-introduce myself: I'm Maureen, and I'm supposed to be the author of this blog.

I know that sometimes it doesn't seem that way, but it's true.

Sorry I've been MIA. That whole, "OMG, I can SEE," thing, took up more time than I expected.

Anyhoo, went to the beach last week. Nags Head, NC.




We went with two of Mike's grade school friends, their wives, and their little boys. The boys are 1 and 1 and a half. Pretty darned cute.


That's Jake. He was my admirer for the week. Can you see my shadow in the mirror? I was on the patio with my laptop (more than once) and he came banging on the door to get my attention (more than once). He and Brady were adorable.
I only ventured to the actual beach once, for a walk before dinner. Otherwise, the whole sand plus toddlers plus wind didn't really make my newly-lasored eyes excited. So it was the pool and margaritas for me for the most part.
Not that I'm complaining. At all.
We golfed a few times, too. Once on the drive down, just before we hit Nags Head. Then twice with Jason and Tom.
Not sure how interesting the golf talk is to many of you, but I probably played my best round on Saturday. Like, ever.
Then I was doing well on Monday's round, but I had to call into a conference call on the 10th hole and it lasted all the way through 18. So I'm still saying I shot a 60. Just don't pay attention to the fact that it was only on 10 holes.
And as you can imagine, playing a third time in one week was just one time too many. Not to mention the course was just impossible for a player like me. And not just a bad player. I'm not sure many women could play the course well, unless they were just monster golfers.
This was the view from one of my tee boxes:
You had to hit the ball dead straight, through the trees.
This was the shot from another tee box:

50 yards of tall grass. So you had to hit it high to get over this gunk.

And finally, in the middle of more than one fairway,

A big pond that was at least 40 yards deep. So you'd have to hit a little shot just to lay up right before the pond, then hope you could hit it over.

Sigh. Needless to say, those pink balls that Aunt Rita gave me for my birthday? Kinda gone now.

We came back on Thursday, and have visited with Mike's parents the last few days, who are in town painting some rooms in David and Lauren's house.

I'm off to Indianapolis tomorrow, which will kick off a lot of trips this July (yeah, yeah, I know, tomorrow isn't July, but that's just details). And travel should mean more appearances of Anticipated posts... I hope. ;-)

3 comments:

Rita said...

Is that a hint?? Have safe travels.

Maureen said...

haha! Nope! I have plenty more balls to lose this summer before I need more!

Rob said...

It turns out that I just missed you guys. I was in Nags Head the week before. Went with family, so there was no golf, just lots of fishing.