Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Welcome to the Club

(April 5, 2011)

We had a tragedy in the family this weekend. When I heard about it on Saturday night, I was sad. I was disappointed. I felt awful for David and Lauren.

But I went on with my evening plans.

I woke Sunday morning and laid in bed for a while, thinking. Still the peripheral, "that's such a shame," but with an added element of "what can I do?" So when Mike groggily rolled over and asked what I had planned for the day, I had a lot: I was going to grocery shop not just for dinner tonight but for several days worth for Lauren (and Barb, who was coming down to stay for the week with her). I was going to make a big meal that could be dropped off at their house tonight, and prep Monday night's dinner for them. Maybe I'd make a pie if I had time.

And that's exactly how I spent my day, sitting when I could, but letting the exhaustion of doing something distract me. I focused on the check list.

We packed up the groceries, pulled the sausage and meatballs off the stove, and headed over. I was naively unprepared.

I walked in, not yet "showing," but definitely bigger than my pre-pregnancy self. I hugged Lauren. Then I embraced her. Then I clung to her, like I've never done before.

What washed over me was an unexpected flood of sorrow, grief, relief, guilt, fear and so much more. It was like hitting a wall, or a wall hitting me. It was an electric shock. I couldn't breath.

It was my first true realization: I am a member of this club now.

I couldn't sleep Sunday night. I blamed it on the exhaustion. On the fact that every muscle in my body ached (hey, trips to two different malls, grocery shopping for two families, a formal-attire party with lots of small talk, and a day in the kitchen is a lot in a weekend for a woman in her first trimester). I went to work on Monday and went through the motions. I felt numb. I left "early" at 5:30 p.m., and sat through an hour and a half of Cherry Blossom traffic.

At 15th and E, in front of the Hotel Washington, and about 35 minutes into the drive, I began to cry. By 15th and Pennsylvania, it was a good thing the traffic was barely crawling, because I couldn't see anything through the streaming tears. By the time I finally got home, they were body-shaking, out-loud, hide-my-head-in-a-pillow, sobs.

I am a member of this club, now. And I am scared to death.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Wow! In my opinion, you are doing everything perfectly. You are totally normal yet at the same time totally extradordinary! Its good to be a little bit scare, but you are gonna be fantastic!!!