Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The elevators

I just received this postcard in the mail this afternoon. It's from the Villa, the retirement home my grandmom is in.

You remember, the one that we donated to in December, and then grandmom called to thank Mike?

Anyway, if you can believe this, it is the ongoing problem at the Villa that the elevators don't work. Which really isn't a big deal, because it's not like 95% of the population is in wheelchairs or anything.

So every time we go to the Villa, I'll opt to go right to the stairs instead of even trying the elevators. One is always down, so you wait for the only working one. Which takes about 45 seconds between each floor when it's moving, but is stopped for about 2 minutes on each floor because of slow-moving people going in and out.

And since you would consider me one of the 5% that doesn't need a wheelchair when I'm visiting, I take the stairs.

Still, the elevator thing bothers me, on principle.

When we (yes, WE) sent in the donation in December, we specified it to go to the elevator fund. The elevators are so bad, there is an elevator fund designation on their donation form.

Hence, the invitation that arrived today.

Can you read what it says?

Join us

Sunday, March 15, 2009

for the blessing of the Elevators

They are blessing the elevators.

And they capitalized Elevators. Because they are so precious and they are so happy to have working ones, the deserve capitalized treatment.

I don't know why, but this just cracked me up.

4 comments:

Jen Vogelsong said...

That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

If you're wondering who the heck I am, I work with Melissa Nann Burke and she sent me a link to your blog once because you travel a lot and I always wish I could travel more, and, well, I've been reading your blog ever since. I have a blog at www.yorkblog.com/explorer if you're interested.

You'll have to report back on the Blessing of the Elevator event. I'm sure it will be a hoot!

Maureen said...

Thanks for reading, Jen!

Rita said...

Now, now, we all know that it took them almost 6 months (I think it was even longer than that)to revamp all 3 elevators. And now with this blessing they are going to hit you up for more because there are plans to put in a whole new structure with a brand spanking new elevator or elevators.
By the way, I got one also, are you going?

Maureen said...

Unfortunately, I can't make it to the blessing of the Elevators. I'll be in Raleigh, flying to Boston. My travel for the tax seminar starts on the 12th of March - 9 cities in 2 weeks!!