Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Grandmom

Grandmom called me tonight, after I came home from work, while I was making dinner, before I cleaned up from dinner, and before I vacuumed all the dog's beds and started taking down the Christmas tree.

Really, all that detail is integral to this story.

She calls to tell me she just got the nicest note from her nursing home, and she wanted to thank "your dear, sweet husband for his generous donation."

That's a quote.

She didn't thank me.

She didn't thank me for our donation to the nursing home.

She thought perhaps it was his money, and his idea.

I was dumbfounded! I told her I'd be happy to pass along the message, but, oh, by the way, we both had something to do with that.

And she was actually surprised! This coming from a woman who also worked and ran her household and raised four children! When I told my Aunt Jo (Grandmom's daughter) the story, she laughed and said it was inconceivable in her house for her her father to make a decision - let alone a financial decision - without consulting Grandmom. And yet, here she was, just assuming I had nothing to do with the donation whatsoever.

It's funny. It really is.

But I'm not going to lie... it kind of bugs me, too.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.