Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Day in Pictures -- Christmas Night Edition

Thank you, Melissa, for calling me out on not posting. You're right, I haven't. I can't exactly claim how hectic it's been (since the holidays are for everyone), but I haven't gotten the precious-to-me time alone, on the couch, with my laptop since the previous post.

I hope everyone had an incredible holiday. The Petron family certainly did. I took a video of all the presents under the David Petron's tree, once Barb and Joe arrived with theirs, and Mike and I brought over ours. But, that video, along with all the Christmas photos I took, are gone, along with my iPhone. Hold your breath in anticipation, because the next post will be about the aforementioned iPhone getting stolen.

But needless to say, it was a present extravaganza. Nate didn't quite understand the opening of presents for himself, but I truly believed he loved watching everyone else open -- and react -- to their presents. We had a blast after a great brunch on Christmas morning (oh! And this was after a great night at the David Petron's before... wait for it, wait for it... 7:30 p.m. candelight service!!!! NOT 11:00 p.m., as we've gone in the past. Do you know how much happier I am at a 7:30 p.m. service instead of an 11:00 p.m. service?!?!)

After the present extravaganza, Mike and I went home and took a nap for 40 minutes (said all quite and whispery so you don't judge) before staring dinner. I had worked really hard the day before to cut, prep, marinate, and cook as much as I could, so it was just a matter of pulling it all together.

The Keelings joined us, which was the best Christmas present of all!, and thanks to Kristin for taking all these pictures of the meal and general merriment.


Notice the plethora of glasses on the table. A lot. We filled them all. A lot.

Butternut squash soup. The only non-paleo course served, and it was at least primal, if not paleo. It had a bit of cream, and topped with a little bit of honey.

Then a simple spinach salad.

And for the main course, Barb's family's tradition of fillet and lobster tail. Accompanied by a port-red wine sauce, roasted broccoli, and roasted mushrooms.

And while not my making, the delicious and famous Christmas cookies. Please note that you see on this plate -- out for everyone to eat!! -- are the triple chocolate chip and the peanut butter ritz sandwiches dipped in chocolate.

A good time was had by all.

Tipsy.


Upon the Keeling's last visit, Kristin requested caroling at Christmas. Joe not only brought his violin, but also printed out packets of music for all to sing along.




I think Nate was fascinated more by the singing than even the present opening.


Although, eventually, the night won out and defeated him.

These two, though! These two! I'm not sure they ever run out of energy. See me holding that rope? Luci didn't much care for the caroling, and wanted to play tug of war instead. See Goldie in the picture? No? That's because it was all too much for her to handle, and she was curled up asleep in the dining room.

Mike holding evidence of the amount of fun we had.

Although at this particular moment, Nate might disagree.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you! Sorry about the iphone. :(

Rob said...

Thanks again for hosting! Thinking back, I should have taken pictures of my seconds, thirds, fourths and fifths. For posterity, of course.

Maureen said...

That's it, Melissa!?!?! Sheesh! No, "cute baby"! Or "gorgeous table!" or "fun singing!" What's a girl got to do!?!?! ;-)

Maureen said...

And Rob's not kidding. I don't think anyone else had taken a bite of food for 30 minutes and he was still going back for more.

Which I totally, totally, totally loved.