Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Taser

Mike got his taser. He's been wanting this for almost two months now, when Officer Gregg (thank goodness) talked him out of getting a gun.

He had wanted a gun because one night, we were up in the bedroom, as was the dog, and a pot fell in the kitchen. We heard the bang, and thought it might be an intruder. I looked at Mike like, "go check that out!" and he looked at me like, "oh s&$t! I'm gonna have to check this out, aren't I?"

He sent the dog down ahead of him, and confronted the menacing pot.

But that got him thinking that he had no "personal defense weapon" in the bedroom (well, in the house, really). He talked about it with David and Gregg at our pre-party wine tasting (look at the photo half way down), and Gregg got him to come around to the taser instead of the gun.

Whew. Dodged a bullet on that one.

Hardy, har, har.

So he finally bought this:


(Good thing he's keeping me safe from the Christmas cookies!)
I really am having a hard time saying how I feel about this. I am very opposed to a hand gun in the house. But the reason for the taser is that - if accidentally shot - it won't hurt a person fatally, nor will it destroy walls or furniture.
It still just seems like a bit much. I don't like having it in the house because that implies that I don't feel safe in the house. And I'd rather feel safe in the house.
So it's a bit of a catch-22 that I can't seem to work my way out of.


No comments: