Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

My new laptop

I'm writing this from my new laptop.

Stop. You aren't reading an old post. This is my new, new lap top.

As opposed to the one I got in July after opening a virus (I just looked to link to a post on that, but I can't find it... I think I might have skipped over that story in embarrassment!).

Also as opposed to the new hard drive I got in December after, um, dropping my new one.

The laptop was never quite the same after being dropped. The wrong operating system was loaded on to it (Vista for home) so I couldn't sync my phone, and my printer wasn't compatible with Vista and the port where you'd put a wired connection only worked some of the time.

So I got a new, new laptop this week.

My only request was that it be small. Small, small, small.

The last one was small. It was a Lenovo x61s. It was small (12 inch display) and really light (about 3 pounds), and just so cute.

The new, new one is a Lenovo x200.

I have to admit, when I first saw it, I was a little disappointed. Sulky, even. It looked bigger (the screen is still 12 inches, but it's wide-screen, so it's really about an inch bigger). It's also an inch bigger because there's all this special durability features. It has: "a carbon-fiber/ glass-fiber top cover (similar to the bodies of the latest jet airplanes and Formula 1 race cars) for added strength... And on the X200 and X200s, a magnesium-alloy top and bottom cover help to protect your system against flexing, impact and accidental drops."

As the IT guy was saying this in front of EVERYBODY, you can imagine how red my face was getting.

He got me a race car, in a laptop.

Humiliating.

Let's not also forget (from the Web site):
• Spill-resistant keyboards, each sealed and contained within a tray with special drain holes to channel spills to the bottom of the system to lessen opportunity for damage.
• Reliable, sturdy metal hinge construction designed for daily use.
• Strong Magnesium-alloy top and bottom covers.

Double-humiliating.

And it's an inch longer.

But, it's also about a third of a pound ... lighter.

And it's way more durable. And it has XP. And, well, it works.

So I really, really hope my laptop hasn't been able to see my scrunched nose that I've had for the past three days, because, really, I think it's better. Way better.

And, let's be frank. Even if it were worse, there's not much I can complain about, Miss 'third computer in 8 months.'

Here's to hoping nothing goes wrong with this one!

No comments: