Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Back from Hotlanta

[I interrupt even the starting of this post to nag my friends about why I haven't seen pictures from Halloween yet. Hello!! I was counting on you! Please send. Thank you.]

I'm back from Hotlanta, and don't exactly know my next gig. I have a lot of options out there, one that will keep bringing in the funds immediately and three that could be awesome, I'm self-employed forever, type gigs.

Maybe I should back up.

The remaining days organizing the canvassing effort in Atlanta went way better than the first two. I continued to be impressed by the group, they were dedicated, hard workers, and I felt like the system was under control.

Ok, ok, there were a few snafus, but nothing I should write about here. Buy me a glass of wine and I'll spill.

Unfortunately, when it was all said and done, the campaign lost 47% to 53%.

I was done "working" yesterday around 2 p.m. but stayed for the results party. I needn't have done that. I don't want to spread this too far, but I've been to two election results parties after having worked on campaigns and both were... well... depressing.

But I slept for SEVEN hours last night. That's right! SEVEN!!!! I only had to skip my workout to do it.

Holy hell, I'm tired.

I'm tired and I'm trying to decide what's next. I think one of the bonuses of being self-employed is that after this marathon run these past 3 weeks, I can just... stop. Catch up on my Google reader. Go to the store. Work out. Write on my blog. See some of you!!!! You know, just be.

The down side is that any day not working is a day not getting paid.

The upside to that is I never expected be be billing full-time for the past month, so I feel like it's ok to have a few un-billed days. Ya know?

Especially because the firm that got me involved in the rally and the canvassing has ongoing work that I can dig into. Nothing as take-control, project-oriented as the rally or canvassing, just plain old, stuff that needs to get done. Things like writing news summaries for coverage of their issue.

The guy who got me all involved with this group and I were talking about all of this on Tuesday afternoon, and all I could do was stare at his lips as they were moving and think, "Can't we just talk about this on Monday..."

So if you don't mind, I'm going to have a glass of wine, watch my DVR until I go blind, and think about it all on Monday.

No comments: