Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chicago Running

Let me say first that I can't believe no one called me out for my last obnoxious post. So maybe I'd had a glass of wine (or two. I think just two.) before posting. So maybe I was alone in my hotel room and feeling sorry for myself. But you all are going to let me get away with that gross self-promotion? (I know, technically the entire blog is self-promotion, but I try to keep it to a minimum!) You're weak.

It's my last morning in Chicago, and the conference has been a good one. As expected, all the best parts have been happening outside of the conference sessions themselves!

Dinner last night with Kristy and Andy (and so it doesn't seem like we were doing it behind her back: Vi, we talked about you. A lot. Dissected what we know of your relationship. Speculated. Came up with a list of questions for me to drill the boy with when he comes to the States. Really excited to stay with us know, aren't you???). Ate at Vong's Thai Kitchen, with family style curry and pad thai, souffle and lava cake for dessert, and a pear-flavored vodka drink. Conference? What conference?

Signed up this morning for a guided running tour of the city. OMG! Why didn't I think of this idea? It's called City Running Tours, and they have them in DC (who knew?), New York, Chicago, Austin, San Fran, and a few others. You can contact them as an individual, but this was organized through the conference. Went on a three-mile guided jog of downtown, stopping at a few spots, but with pretty much a constant commentary of the buildings that we were passing.

There were about 25 conference attendees that showed up to jog, and we broke up into groups based on pace. I was a little nervous at first because they called out "5 mile, 8 minute pace." Gulp. Can't do 5 miles at 8 minutes a mile.

Then 3 miles at 8 minute pace. Then 3 miles at 10-minute or slower pace.

Wait! I'm a 9 minute pace!

So I did what any girl who is unsure of what to do in a given situation does: she checks out what everyone else is wearing and goes with the group she most identifies with.

The 8 minute pace group had on shorts and tee's, sports watches with timers to keep pace, all pretty fit. The 10 mile pace group had on sweat pants and sweat shirts. They were carrying coffee already. Someone might have been smoking.

I went with the 8 minute group.

We had three guides for our group - three most adorably beautiful girls. Which could have been why, besides me, only men joined the 8 minute pace group. The guides were a big draw, I think.

Ended up being a good decision. We stopped a bit more than I expected. And while I don't think we were going a 9 minute mile, there were very few times when we picked up the speed to get to an 8 minute mile pace. Mostly because they stopped at a few sights to say what something was, and the guides made us stop at all stop lights. So even though it was 6 a.m., and there were no cars on the street, we had to follow the crossing signals. I can totally understand that from a liability perspective, but kind of frustrating!

Loved it, though. The guides kept up a nice, but not annoying chatter, and the 64 degree weather bathed Chicago in a great light.

Okay, running (oops, bad pun) late now! A few more sessions to go today, then I'm off to Vegas!

2 comments:

Jenelle said...

Hey now, don't knock the 10 minute pacers. I don't even want to tell you what my pace is :) Sounds like a great run! I am proud of you!

V. said...

Ummm, hey did I mention he's Australian? Maybe you can just ask him questions about kangaroos, koalas, and Crocodile Dundee? Oh who am I kidding. You won't be able to understand his accent anyway!