Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Garden Party Attire"

[I really hope they don't read this post. Or, I hope that if they read this post, they have a sense of humor about it!]

Remember when I told you about my RSVP faux pas? Well, this event is causing me nothing but etiquette stress.

For the sake of easy story-telling, I didn't correctly describe the event. I called it a wedding reception in my first post. But it's actually a garden party celebrating the couple's recent marriage. I can't remember the specifics, but they did a small ceremony earlier this year. The party this weekend is a larger event where all of their friends are coming - in short, a wedding reception.

It's in Nashville, TN (never been to TN! Get to add it to the list of new states this summer!).
The invitation was a formal one, and looked like any wedding invitation, only it invited us all to a "garden party" in honor of their marriage.
I have to tell you, I've been stressing over what to wear to this event.

It's still hot in Nashville right now, although it's after Labor Day. So I still feel obligated to abide by not wearing summer fabrics, or white.


(I'd wear this if the event were in July. But it's not.)

I'm also unsure of what one wears to a garden party, summer or not. Is this like a bar-b-que? A tea? Or a wedding reception?

We decided we needed clarification. Mike's brother and sister-in-law are attending this weekend, too, so Lauren called the bride. The bride left a voicemail message back for Lauren that said, "wear, you know, what you'd wear to a garden party."


Mike e-mailed the groom. He wrote back, "According to [the bride], the attire is garden party."


Um...


In their defense, their responses did go just a little further. She said she thought she'd wear a sundress, and he said that khakis or shorts and a button down might be appropriate.

(this was recomended by the groom)



SHORTS? To an event that has a professionally printed invitation?

No, no, I just can't do that.

So the debate rages on. After every half hour, I change what I'm going to wear. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up bringing four dresses down with me, because I just haven't a clue.

Wait! I wonder what Emily Post has to say about garden parties! I'll need to check with her tonight.

1 comment:

Jenelle said...

I need more info about this. What time is the party? Is it literally at a garden? In their home?

I think you are safe with any dress, really. I would err on the side of overdressed. Definitely not BBQ wear which to me means shorts or casual skirt. But not as fancy as, say, that mint/brown dress you have.

This is definitely a puzzle. I, too, would have to bring 4 dresses and probably change my mind a hundred times :)