Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Doggie camp


My dog does not have a tough life.

She's in retirement, enjoying two beds on every level of the house, two square meals a day, and two solid, 40-minute walks. (Hm, I see a pattern here.)

She does stay home alone while we're at work, but she sleeps so much that I really don't think she has a problem with it! Her "day bed" is up against the glass in our door, so she can watch all that's going on in the neighborhood.

Goldie is also lucky in that many of our friends love her. So they indulge me and let me bring her on walks with them, or agree to sit outside at a restaurant so Goldie can come along, too.

They even volunteer regularly to house sit for her when we're away.

Sometimes, though, my friends are busy. And so Goldie has to get boarded.

Now before you get all sad for Goldie, don't. Me being me, I researched tons of facilities before deciding on Fur Get Me Not.


It has cageless daycare during the day, which we periodically send Goldie to while we're in town just to keep her used to the facility. They have several staff people that stay in the big pen with the dogs all day. They send the dogs home with report cards that say who they played with, or what trouble they got into. They discipline the dogs with squirt bottles of water to the face (and, yes, Goldie has come home wet on occasion.) And they take their dogs seriously - I had to go through a multi-step application process to get Goldie in, including a "test" run of her at the facility.

You can opt to just send the dog to daycare, or the dog can stay for boarding. At night, they put the dogs in crates to sleep.

Here are some photos of the facility, the daycare, and the boarding. I tried to save the photos to post here, but couldn't.

I can't wait to hear about how today went for Goldie. It's a "special" day at Fur Get Me Not - the birthday party of the owner's dog. Complete with party hats and games for all the dogs. I think they'll post pictures up on their Web site, and if they do, I'll put the link here.

Yeah, partying all weekend? Not a bad life for Goldie.

No comments: