Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The birthday debate, part II

The birthday debate continues.

I wrote about this way back in August, when we were trying to decide how to celebrate Mike's birthday, and mine. We went out to a great dinner with his brother and sister in law to celebrate Mike's 30th.

I've been hoping to pull together a party, but as evidenced by the date of that original post (August 3rd) and today (October 8th), I've been a little, well, lax.

So now I'm hard core into party planning and running up against such a silly thing as money. Geez. Like me turning 30th doesn't just scream for thousands of dollars worth of celebration!

Okay, so it doesn't. But I have this problem with toning things down. I have this problem with not wanting to wear jeans to my birthday party. I have this problem that I don't normally go to bars anyway, so why would I want to go to a bar for a special occasion?

That's the debate we're in right now.

I'm getting jazzed up about the idea of having something smaller than originally expected at our house. Granted, I want someone to set it up, cater it and clean up. And keep my drink filled for me.

Mike thinks that'll be too much "work."

(pause for eye rolling)

He seems to be missing the part about someone setting up, catering and cleaning up. He also doesn't see the irony in him saying anything to do with a house party would be "work," since we all know that even if I wasn't looking for help and would do the entire party all on my own, his "work" would involve him changing from mesh shorts to a button down.

Okay, a bit of an exaggeration there.

But just a bit of one.

I think his heart is in the right place. I think he's trying to say that he doesn't want me to get all stressed about it, which would spill out onto him. But I like my house and I like parties at my house, and oooohhh, you should read the catering menu I've had pulled together.

So that's where we are. About a month out. No decisions, no invitations sent, no party dress shopping. (Well, maybe a little party dress shopping. Just to be prepared and all.)

I'm still working on him. Afterall, you only turn 30 once!

2 comments:

Rita said...

Would you still want Monkey Cake at Thanksgiving?

Maureen said...

Of course I want Monkey Cake!