Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Five years and one day

We're driving home from our anniversary trip down to Kingsmill. Lots of good stuff this weekend.

It started off a bit rough, though. We left home around 2 p.m. and pretty quickly hit traffic.

Doesn't this look like a SUMMER Friday afternoon fleeing of the city?!? We sat it in for several hours, and most of you know how well Mike deals with traffic.

This truck pasted us at one point.


It's hauling a rock wall. Mike said, "Tell Keith, the next rock wall I climb will be in that position."

At about 5:30 p.m., we arrived in Colonial Williamsburg.

We met some locals.
And walked up and down the main street of preserved houses. This took us about... 20 minutes.




I was complaining about how hungry I was, and Mike tried to shut me up.


Just kidding.
We had a glass of wine and some candy in Williamsburg, then headed 10 miles South for the resort. Checked in and pretty much headed straight to dinner. Mike had a 16 oz (with no bone) St. Louis Strip. If any one can tell me what the difference between a St. Louis Strip and New York Strip is, I'd be much obliged.

Woke up the next morning to this view from our balcony:


Not bad, huh? We headed for breakfast, and then our 8:30 a.m. tee time.

Kingsmill's Web site boasts of lots of wild life on the course, and that is not an understatement. This photo didn't come out the best, but it's a hawk. There were tons flying overhead, and this one was hanging out on the ground as we drove past.

The course was beautiful, and we played with a nice couple that was celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary.
Can you see me?
I am happy with how I played, and Mike did well, too. No thrown clubs! This photo is on the 17th hole.
After lunch I went for a jog and to the spa - which you can read about here. Mike watched the Texas/ Oklahoma game and studied a little. We met up again on the patio for some wine and snacks before dinner, and this groundhog was outside the building. Mike took about 7 photos of the groundhog (I'll spare you).
Another good dinner wrapped up the big anniversary day.
We had another tee time this morning, but the round didn't go quite as smoothly as yesterday. I quit keeping score, and Mike threw a club. Or two. Actually, three.
Grabbed sandwiches for the road (quite possibly the best sandwich I've ever eaten, but I think I was biased because I was ready to eat my hand at that point!).
We just had a pit stop to get Friendly's Friend-Z (for those not familiar, this is quite possibly the best ice cream desert ever. It's like a Blizzard, only they include sauces. So we love the vanilla ice cream with peanut butter cups, chocolate sauce and peanut butter sauce). We ended up pulling off at the exact exit I said not to (not realizing it was "the one") - we had gotten off at this exit on the way back from the beach in August and the Friendly's was 4.6 miles from the exit, and a complete dump. But, hey, the ice cream was good!
Eighty more miles to go to DC.
Happy Birthday, Barb!


No comments: