Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday dinner

I had a much better drive back from Philly than the trip there! Yesterday's rain was replaced by sunshine. Thank goodness.

So I'm not sure why I think you all are interested in my Sunday dinners. Perhaps it's because I wish I could cook dinners like this more often, but find myself too busy on weeknights. Of course, I don't exactly want to give up any of the things that keep me busy on weeknights, either!

Oh, wait, before dinner. I had to actually go to the grocery store first. And frankly, I'm a little tired of the Giant employees taking their love of Redskins a bit too seriously.

Last month, I happened to wear a golf shirt from the Cowboys Golf Club to Giant. One of the employees hassled me for wearing the shirt, wanting to know if they were my team, or I was from Texas, or if neither of those were true, why I would even contemplate wearing the shirt around these parts.

Today I had on a Steeler's t-shirt. The Steelers happened to play at 4 p.m. today. (And I knew this, because I have learned that it saves me an awful lot of stress for the aforementioned Sunday dinners if I put into my phone what time the Steelers are playing.) As I was selecting which package of chicken to purchase, the time being approximately 2 p.m., the gentleman working that section gave me a complete up and down. He steps back, crosses his arms, and says, "shouldn't you be home for the game?"

I take a wild guess that the Redskins are playing at 1 p.m. So I say, with a big smile on my face, "The game's at 4! Have a great day!" And I start to walk away.

He says loudly, "Oh, your game's at 4. My game's goin' on right now."

I just smile and keep moving.

Since history tends to repeat itself, OF COURSE he keeps talking.

"You just come back and see me next Tuesday," he says.

He's referring to the fact that the Redskins play the Steeler's on Monday night football on the 3rd. I am so dumb... so dumb... because without even thinking, I say, "oh yeah! My husband's going to that game," as I finally get far enough away that he really can't keep talking.

So I go up the baking aisle.

I come down the cereal aisle.

He's waiting.

"Are you going to the game?"

"Nope," I say.

"Just your husband?"

"And his friends." (I am, by the way, okay with this. He's going with his brother and Jason, all from Pittsburgh. I wouldn't take that from them.)

"Weren't you invited?" He wants to know.

"Well, it's not that I wasn't invited. He's just going with his friends. And his brother."

"You wanna go? I'll take you to that game." Do I need to add that at this point, leering began?

Sigh.

I did eventually get my ingredients. For this awesome dinner.

The end result: Pan-seared chicken pot sticker salad with sauteed edamame and ginger, on a bed of Boston Bibb lettuce tossed in a soy vinaigrette.

Here's the pot stickers and edamame cooking:

Also topped the salad with a sweet and sour shrimp: shrimp marinated in soy, ginger and fresh grapefruit juice. Oh, and mint. Just, you know, 'cause.
Here's the shrimp marinating:
And the shrimp cooking:
And finally, the end result: