Pages

"Summer" Continues

sum∙mer n. any period of growth, development, fulfillment, perfection, etc.

Read more about why The Anticipated Best Summer Ever hasn't ended.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lessons learned

1. When you go away for 10 days, even if it's work-related and even if you have lots of meetings and talks and good decisions made, that doesn't mean you come back to your desk with less work. In fact, all the work you left on your desk is still there, and no one did anything that piled up while you were gone. Sheesh. Where do you find good help these days?

2. Sometimes you think you're out of it, until someone else proves they have less of a brain today than you. Such as the gentleman who wanted to set up a conference call. Since he's in Houston, I said, "how about Tuesday, 11 a.m. Eastern, 10 a.m. Central?" And he wrote back, "sure, either of those times work for me." I wished I could pass him my cup of coffee.

3. It's really better for me not to follow this financial mess stuff. As Mike puts it, "the Fleming girls are very emotional about their money." Really, unless I'm retiring tomorrow (not retiring tomorrow, am I, boss?), I don't need to know how my 401k is doing.

4. Gumbo isn't a good impulse purchase. I went to Lawson's deli today intending to get a salad. As I walked around the salad bar, the smell of their shrimp and sausage and chicken gumbo was really good. I got a bowl, and it was tasty. Now I feel like I need to lie on the couch watching football with someone scratching my back.

5. I'd rather read the entries on my Google Reader under the category "Diversions" than what's the latest to be posted on the Washington Post Web site. That shouldn't really be surprising to me, but sometimes I try to pretend like I'm smart and follow what's going on in the world. Then I realize I'd rather read about Jenelle's washing machine breaking.

Man. And it's only 1:30 p.m. I'm not sure I want to learn any more today.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Welcome back! You are wise to not look at your 401K. I did it yesterday and fell into a deep depression. But I've come to grips with the fact that I'll be working until the day I die, so whatever!
When are you coming to a hockey game???

Keith said...

So how can you tell how your 401(k) is doing if it has been invested in interest bearing cash accounts for the last year. I am not sure I understand all of this down market stuff???

Rita said...

You don't want to know how much my 401K lost this week. I'm sorry I know.
I wish I was there, or you were here, so I could scratch your back while we were watching the PHILLIES GAME!! Who cares about football when the Phillies and in the playoffs!!!

Rita said...

That should read "the Phillies are in the playoffs"
Should of read it before I posted.